I can’t believe it’s been so long since I posted an update! Here are some highlights from the last few weeks:
- We celebrated Mary’s birthday a day early to avoid competing with the Super Bowl. A few friends joined us for an afternoon at Tisa’s Barefoot Bar. Laying on a beautiful beach, drinking pina coladas made from fresh coconut milk, eating the delicious cupcakes that Sarah brought- birthdays don’t get much better than that.
- Our friend Turner hosted a Super Bowl party at his place and we had a great time. There were more Steelers fans than Packers fans, but the Packers fans brought better food. Brats with sauerkraut, pork ribs, and lime cake were the highlights. It was nice to see the Packers win, but what I enjoyed most about this year’s Super Bowl was hanging around outside without any shoes on. That was also my favorite thing on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Eve.
- I’ve recently discovered Samoan karaoke. The level of musical talent here is incredible- there are very few Samoans who don’t have a great singing voice, and there’s nothing like a karaoke bar to show it off. The woman I saw sing “Crazy” last night was nearly as good as Patsy Cline herself.
- On Tuesday nights I get together with a few guys to watch UFC fights. Nearly every week someone brings some really delicious food. We’ve had homemade chili, fresh tuna sashimi, wild boar, oka made with marlin that Jeremy caught (oka is an excellent Samoan dish similar to ceviche- raw fish and vegetables marinated in lime juice and coconut milk), and plenty of excellent steaks and burgers. But I don’t know if anyone will be able to top the lobsters and coconut crab that Jeremy and Kevin caught last weekend and cooked for this week’s Fight Night, followed by the homemade chocolate ice cream cake Ashley made. The fights were pretty good, too.
- We’re going to have some guests from Wisconsin! My friend Dan will get here on March 7th, and Mary’s sister Emily and brother-in-law Nathan are coming on the 21st. We can’t wait!
- At parent-teacher conferences, the mother of one my students told me she really likes my curriculum. I didn’t tell her that my “curriculum” consists of the eight or so sports I know the rules of, or that I decide which one we’re going to play that day on my drive to work.
- Our rescued puppy, Lolo, is about five months old now. She’s doing well and has even learned a few basic commands.We’re still waiting for her to grow into those ears.